diet coke for breakfast


Monday, June 30, 2003

Posted by Tanstaafl
Slippery Slope

I think this is an interesting way to look at this issue. The question before the court should not be whether it is "just" that such laws are allowed. As people with a civil liberties bent, I think we could probably agree that this behavior should not be restricted between consenting adults. The question, however, should be, can a legislature regulate this behavior, constitutionally. My belief in markets feeds my belief in federalism. If people felt oppressed by the Texas laws, they could have moved to Oklahoma and Arizona, and voted with their feet. Or better yet, they could express their dislike to their representatives, and get the law changed. I think the idea of "rights" has expanded too far. People have lost sight of what they mean, and the struggle that America had to achieve them.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?