diet coke for breakfast


Tuesday, October 28, 2003

Posted by Jake
Defending the idle rich?

These pop culture sneers do reveal a libertarian dilemma: to put it delicately, defending the right of the idle rich to inherit their wealth in its entirety is one of the knottier positions to advocate in public. This resentment of the inheriting class is particularly acute during a slow economy. It's easy to defend property rights in the abstract. It's harder to defend the property rights of those who are perceived to be dumb-ass dilettantes.

Take me. Readers of this blog know that I think concerns about economic inequality are misplaced. However, whenever I see a promo for the Hilton sisters on television, I find myself reflexively muttering under my breath, 'they'll be the first ones up against the wall when the revolution comes.'"


He goes on to explain why he doesn't buy some of the arguments for the estate tax. I will give you one more. We need the idle rich. Why? Because there is no schadenfreude sweeter than realizing that being rich doesn't make you happy, that someone born with everything can still find a way to think they have nothing.

It's like watching Jerry Springer. It just makes you feel so much healthier.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?