diet coke for breakfast


Tuesday, October 21, 2003

Posted by Tanstaafl
The Volokh Conspiracy:

"Now I'm not a smoker and I don't like cigarette smoke, but I hate it when they do this . . . and what's more galling is that this statewide ban is justified by the need to create a level playing field so those cities (like Boston, Cambridge, and Somerville) that have instituted such a ban don't lose business to neighboring cities.

One time I went home to L.A. and somehow (how???) I got talked into going out to a club; it was so pleasant that there was no cigarette smoke, but in my soul, it wasn't worth the knowledge that regulation is at work. "

Having lived in CA for several years and then returning to the East Coast, one of the most dramatic changes was smoking in bars. I hate cigarette smoke, but I understand that bars are the last public, social refuge for smokers. When CT announced it's ban (which has gone into effect for restaurants and will begin for bars in April), I was dismayed at the paternalism of the state government. Now that there's no smoke in restaurants, I'm still frustrated on principled and ideological grounds, but am very pleased on a selfish, practical level.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?