diet coke for breakfast


Monday, December 22, 2003

Posted by Tanstaafl
Nader 2004 Presidential Exploratory Committee:

This was my hastily written comment:

I've seen Mr. Nader speak and although he was more polite than his opening act (the angry and obnoxious Madea Benjamin) and more polite than the angry college Democrats in the room, I generally disagree with his policy plans. As, I believe do most Americans. A third party would be viable, if that third party had ideas that Americans liked. I'm sorry but with its current platform, the Green party will never be that party. Drop the angry left bit and quit pandering to Unions, and then come talk to me.


Everyone should go fill this out. If we can discourage him from running, maybe we won't have to listen to Green Party members shout about how their candidate deserves to be in the debates even though he can't muster support from even 2% of the American public. There are a LOT of people out there without strong ties to either party, but they will NEVER vote for Mr. Nader with his current mix of protectionism and doomsday rhetoric about globalization and corporate America. Too many of us draw paychecks from corporations. If he destroys them, where will we get $$ for food?

Brian --I've also seen Nader speak, in fact, a week and a half after he failed so miserably in the 2000 election. It was a terrible, whiny, angry, absolutely pathetic mish-mash of incoherent blathering. That being said, I can't decide if I want him to run or not. As I see it, there are two effects at play: the Democratic nominee being pulled to the left and a theoretical Nader candidacy stealing votes on the left.
We all know there is no threat that Nader will steal votes from W--that's absurd. So, on the surface I'm inclined to encourage Nader to run so that he steals from Dean. (Obviously, I'm operating on the assumption that Dean will sew up the nomination.) However, if Nader runs, and steals the angry ultra-left, they'll have a candidate who pleases them, and will no longer prevail upon Dean to continue pandering to them. This would give him more latitude to move to the right, which could end up netting him more votes than if Nader didn't run. So, I'm not inclined to push a Nader candidacy one way or the other just yet. Anyone have any suggestions?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?