diet coke for breakfast


Thursday, January 22, 2004

Posted by Jake
2 Senators Counter Bush on Immigrants (washingtonpost.com)

I have to say that I am in favor of anything that would bring legal status to these people, and I don't especially think that we should make them go home. We need to fess up to the fact that large parts of our economy (see California agriculture) are based entirely nearly entirely on migrant workers. These aren't jobs that most Americans want. I also think it is unlikely that most people are going to be willing to register for this if there is not some pathway to citizenship. I know that they will work out the details, but I think that the Daschle-Hagel bill might work better.

They would have to have lived in this country for five years and worked here for four years, including one year after enactment of the bill. They would have to pass national security and criminal background checks, pay federal taxes, demonstrate a knowledge of English and American civics, and pay a $1,000 fine.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?