diet coke for breakfast


Wednesday, April 14, 2004

Posted by Tanstaafl
Read how they phrase the question...

Maybe I'm being overly semantic, but isn't this a bit leading? Convincing performance? Are they saying that he's pretending to be something he's not?

I watched the news conference last night, and was encouraged in parts, and discouraged in others. I felt that Bush did a very good job on explaining why the fight in Iraq is necessary and is the right thing to do. I was glad that he called out the fools who have criticized the administration for acting "preemptively" in Iraq, but now think that he should have ordered our troops into Afghanistan sometime between January and September of 2001. I found his handling of the press corp amusing, but at the same time, I'm sure many will see it as arrogant and annoying.

I think my one complaint was his handling of the "can you admit a mistake" question. Look, no politician ever admits a mistake. Their opponents would jump all over it. That being said, he could have been ready for the question. This has been a pretty consistent criticism by pundits lately, and his staff should have known it was coming. A better response than "I can't think of anything right now" would be something like "Look [Mr. Reporter guy], all people make mistakes. Are there things that I wish had happened differently? Sure. But hindsight's 20/20 and I can't honestly say that I would change any of the decisions I've made, given what I knew at the time. Right or wrong, I'll stand by my decisions. If the American people think that someone else can do better, then that's their perogative." But maybe that's why I've never won any sort of election.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?