diet coke for breakfast


Tuesday, May 18, 2004

Posted by Tanstaafl
Most Iraqis believe Saddam guilty of murder, torture:

Four in five Iraqis believe Saddam Hussein was guilty of murdering and torturing civilians in their country, according to a recent nationwide poll in Iraq.

First, in the US, you can't get 80% of people to agree on anything. Second, the reason why so many Iraqis accept that their former leader was a pretty evil guy is almost entirely a numbers game. It's estimated that Saddam's regime killed something like 300,000 Iraqis (I think that's probably a conservative estimate). In a country of 26 million people, that's over 1% of the population. That means that if you know 100 people, one of them is likely to have been carted off, tortured, and murdered. I went to a very small high school, and my graduating class was 120 students. 80 people lived in my freshman dorm in college. 210 or so lived in my Sophomore through Senior year dorms. So in all likelihood, between high school and college, I would have known 8 or so of Saddam's victims, if I had been in Iraq. Chew on that for a few minutes.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?