diet coke for breakfast


Monday, August 02, 2004

Posted by Jake
Kerry Pledges Iraq Troop Cut Within 4 Years (washingtonpost.com)

In interviews on television talk shows, the Democratic presidential nominee said that he saw no reason to send more troops to Iraq and that he would seek allied support to draw down U.S. forces there. "I will have significant, enormous reduction in the level of troops," he said on ABC's "This Week."

Kerry accused President Bush of misleading the country before the war in Iraq, burning bridges with U.S. allies and having no plan to win peace. But when questioned about saying Thursday in his acceptance speech, 'I know what we have to do in Iraq,' he would not tip his hand.

'I've been involved in this for a long time, longer than George Bush,' he said. 'I've spent 20 years negotiating, working, fighting for different kinds of treaties and different relationships around the world. I know that as president there's huge leverage that will be available to me, enormous cards to play, and I'm not going to play them in public. I'm not going to play them before I'm president.'


While embracing muscular liberalism with respect to national defense, Kerry said nearly nothing about Iraq in his nomination acceptance speech. Now I guess we know why. The tremendous lack of seriousness with which Kerry approaches our venture in Iraq -- and the serious consequences if we fail to succeed -- belies his attempt to recraft himself as a hawk.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?