diet coke for breakfast


Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Posted by Jake
Egg on their Face

Some people got this election wrong. Really wrong. Among this list of increasing length:

1. John Zogby
2. Nearly everyone who conducted an exit poll (I have never seen exit polls this off)
3. Everyone who though the youth vote would materialize (I admittedly was one of these)

Furthermore the media outlets have been chickenshits about this all night. CNN refused to call Florida until 97% of the vote was in.

Still, Schadenfreude for the other side is not going to make this country better. Time for those of us who wanted Bush to win to have a little class and take Jeff Jarvis's pledge:

The post-election peace pledge

I promise to... Support the President, even if I didn't vote for him..... Criticize the President, even if I did vote for him..... Uphold standards of civilized discourse in blogs and in media while pushing both to be better.... Unite as a nation, putting country over party, as we work together to make America better.


Tomorrow is going to be a long day. I may have to make myself scarce.

Brian-- I've got to disagree with you on one point, Jake. You said that people expected the youth vote to materialize, including yourself, and that it didn't. The following days, as the actual turnout is analyzed, will reveal the truth. In my opinion, however, the youth vote did turn out, and it just happens to be more conservative than anyone had guessed. Maybe it's the Roe effect, who knows, but by looking at my peers, the only thing I've been able to conclude from my own experience is that our generation is significantly more conservative than any previous generation was at this age. I'd bet we find out that this extremely high turnout was just as strong among the young as any other demographic.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?